Friday, February 11, 2011

Yarnies


Whats a yarnie you ask?? I'm a yarnie.  Its very simple....I like yarn.  Doesn't matter the textures, the colors, the fiber, the thickness, or even the quantity.  I just like it all.   It doesn't really matter to me where it comes from, all sources are good ones:  a specialty yarn shop (aka LYS, Local Yarn Shop), a craft store, a general store, an online shop such, a yarn weaver, a thrift shop, a yard sale, a basket at mom's house, or even the mail box.  In fact, the mail box is my most favorite place to find yarn because there, it's usually gifted, swapped, or RAOK'd from another yarnie.  (RAOK'd = Random Act Of Kindness) 
Us Yarnies are a community of people all our own...other people just don't get it.  We are the ones found lurking in the yarn section of any given store with even the smallest of yarn inventory; touching it, feeling it, looking at it with dreamy eyes, wondering what it could possible become once you've purchased it.  And yes, we need what's also known as a yarn fix. Sometimes you can get your yarn fix by doing any one or more of the above things, but sometimes more extreme measures are taken for more severe fixes...that only a yarn purchase can cure.  Yarn fixes can come on you in a blink of an eye....did you see a scarf made with soft-as-silk fiber, or in a color you just have to have added to your stash? Maybe you have a project and need special yarn to make it, or maybe, for no real reason at all, you just have to get some yarn to get your creative mo-jo going.  Or maybe, just maybe, you have stumbled upon a yarn sale that you just can't pass up.  Whatever the reason, yarn fixes are hard to resist. 
Lets back up...What's a stash you say??  Well, I haven't met a yarnie yet who doesn't have a yarn stash - anything from a basket or bag, to a hidden box, to a closet or even a whole room filled with yarn that's not being used, but patiently waiting to be picked for something beautiful to be created from it. Stash usually consists of new yarns, partly used yarns, and barely any left yarns.  My stash, by the way, is in several places: the attic tucked away in a cubby hole, under the window seat bench, a basket full sits on the enclosed porch, and in 2 under bed boxes in one bedroom, and in 1 under bed box in our bedroom.  And that doesn't count the yarns that are with my WIPs baskets. (Work In Progress) 
Yarnies are usually a creative people.  We crochet, knit, braid, and embellish with our yarn.  There is a whole blog-land of people that do creative things with their yarn.  There's even one website dedicated to organizing yourself with yarn - projects, stash, patterns, and there's oodles and oodles of groups you can join to talk about your yarn!!  
Yep, talking about Ravelry.  Which is where I recently found a yarn I was in search of that has been discontinued by the manufacturer.  Its a varigated yarn, and was purchased over 2 years ago from the LYS near me when I lived in Virginia. I had bought it to add to my stash, for a yet-to-be-decided project.  I picked it with other coordinating colors to make an afghan for my Mother In Law. I was able to search other Ravelry users' stash and found 2 skeins of it.  Yipppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Both ladies were kind enough to send me what they had and I was able to find 1 lonely skein at a LYS. (how can anybody leave just 1 skein of yarn on a shelf??)  This gives me plenty of the otherwise unavailable yarn to finish this: 


Its so nice to be in the company of other yarnies...we are a connected group.  If you can't find a particular yarn, somebody, somewhere, has it in their stash, or knows somebody else that does!!  
I have met many yarnies over the past couple years, mostly on the internet, at Crochetville, Ravelry, and in blog land.  I've even stumbled into them (literally!!) in the yarn section of the local craft store. 

2 comments:

  1. I am a yarnie and proud of it! I love stumbling on someone who's new to the yarn world and staring glassy eyed at the yarn wondering "What should I do?". A few minutes later and a good conversation...they trot off with their new yarn and hopefully, someday, will join the rest of us yarnies in our obsessions!

    ReplyDelete